Monday, December 8, 2008

CX Draper #11

Last race of the season and only 24 points separate the 5th through 10th overall places and I'm holding steady at 8th. This race is double points so any of us could take the lead. I wanted to keep Matt and Jamie close. I know on most races they are usually a few places ahead of me.

The start was at the bottom of the hill near the bridge. I kept a good pace up the hill and when we crested the hill I'd say about 15 riders were ahead of me, Matt and Jamie were a couple places ahead. The run up was long but I was feeling good and held my position through out most of the lap. At the top of lap 2 I notice Eric M was is in the pit area with a flat. Ouch, that hurts. The crowds were loud at the top and someone yelling "Go mike" which turned out to be Mark. Thanks for the cheer.

I kept Matt close but Jamie must have got a lead on Matt. Jason W was close on my tail in the 2nd and 3rd laps. 4th lap I sucked Matt's wheel all the way to the top and Pat was in reach about 200 yards ahead. We gained some time coming down to the rodeo turns and up the hill by the bathrooms. I made an attack towards Pat in the parking lot and yelled at Matt as I passed him that we can catch Pat. I had a lot speed coming around the paved turn down to the dirt parking area. I almost caught Pat as we approached the single track. I knew this part well and I just flew down the trail. As I chased Pat on the NW corner of the track I was thinking I just had to keep him in reach until the run up and then I would attack on the run up.

I hit the loose sand corner and my bike slid out from under me and whole race just went in slow motion for a few seconds. It felt like I had just fallen skiing and was sliding down a mountain. It was a pretty graceful slide. The slow motion button was abruptly changed to fast forward. I jumped back on my bike and peddled as fast I could to catch Pat. My fall and remount was so quick that Matt didn't have time pass me. My heart was red-lined and the adrenaline was pumping. I almost crashed on the next turn and went wide to avoid another fall. Matt passed me on the turn and told me to shake it off, and we could still catch Pat. Jason had caught me too as we climbed up the single track to the bridge. He asked if I was ok, I couldn't talk, I was trying to recover but I knew I had nothing in the gas tank. Jason passed me on the run up like I was standing still. I was walking up the hill giving it everything I had to get my bike over the last barrier. As I descended the hill to the first obstacle turn I could see that Matt and fallen but recovered quickly. There was a big gap in front and behind me as I descended to the bridge. There was no way I could catch Matt. I took a steady pace up the hill thinking there is no use in killing myself, just keep a good gap between the kid behind me. As I passed the last barricade I heard some spectators cheering on the kid behind me. I had a good 100 yards on him before he stood up and was attacking me, I answered his attack and gave it everything I had. Which was enough to get across the line with about 30 yards to spare. What a race, I finished 10th, 8th overall.

No comments: