Monday, December 1, 2008

CX Wheeler #10 Nov 30th


Turned out to be cold and cloudy morning for cross. To make matters worse I forgot my toasty Craft gloves. Similar course as #8 with some added slalom turns in the main run up area. I was #6 in the call ups. I started out strong and fast and took lead just in front of Eric Miller. It was great to have the lead going into the hole shot (the course had sharp right turn then narrow off camber section for 100 yards then a 180 turn). We went down the gully and then circled back to a nasty large off camber hill. I kept the pace and kept the pole position in the "belly" woods. I really like this narrow single track section and thought I would try and put some some distance on the pack. I came out of trees with about 100 yard gap and charged towards center slalom course. The crowds were cheering as my name came over the PA, "Mike Rossberg #1228 is in first place". Eric and 3 others closed the gap as we approached the run up barriers. I kept the lead down the hill by the river as we circled back north to ponds I could feel myself losing steam. I gave up the lead on the back straight away. As we ended the first lap I was in 3rd after 10 minutes of glory I was spent. I struggled to keep a decent pace in the second lap as it felt like everyone was passing me, but in reality I only lost about 10 positions. Matt Davis and Jamie Kent passed me.

The lead group was not far ahead, as I could clearly see them only one turn ahead in the slalom section. The 3rd lap I got back a rhythm and to my surprise Eric went down in the rooty leaf covered slalom turns which allowed me to ride on his wheel out to the north of the lap. I could tell Eric didn't have head back in the game from the fall, he was taking turns wide and going of the track. I sucked his wheel for 1/2 of the east straight away which nice to have little recovery from my insane max heart rate first lap. I fast rider passed both of us and chased hoping Eric wouldn't have the gas to follow. It worked, I stuck on the fast guy's wheel and never saw Eric again. I was in small group of 3 in the 4 th and final lap. I stayed back and the let the group of 2 set pace. We dropped one by the pond and I stayed about bike length behind Stephen B. He seemed like a young rider, he accelerated in north end trees which I matched. I drafted off him on the east straights, he attacked again on the south single track section, I matched. I put the hammer down on the road going north to the finish. We sprinted side by side for 200 yards but I had more left in the tank. I had a good gap going into the final "hole shot" where the finish line was. Finished 14th, 3 behind Matt. VERY VERY FUN!

Add Image Add Image

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like your blog

Anonymous said...

i like your blog